According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), roughly 9 million Americans have their identity stolen every year. Taking just small precautions can help protect your identity and good name. Although nothing will guarantee your safety, there are many ways you can decrease the chances of your identity being stolen.
- Use secure passwords – change your passwords regularly and make sure to not use the same one. Think of something that isn’t obvious and not easy to guess.
- Protect your social security number – Refrain from carrying your social security card in your wallet or purse. Keep it in a safe spot at all times and in a place where nobody would think to look.
- Use firewall, spyware and virus protection – Update it yearly or whenever necessary in order to keep unwanted guests away from your desktop or laptop.
- Clean out your wallet and purse often – Remove any cards you haven’t used in a while and cancel ones you no longer need.
- Shred documents that contain sensitive information – invest in a shredder so that all documents are completed destroyed with no evidence of a whole document.
- Keep an eye on your credit card statements and bills – if anything looks unfamiliar, contact your credit card company immediately.
These are only a few standard precautions you can take to prevent yourself from being a victim of identity theft online. Be sure to check out our Identity Theft Protection service from our online shopping store or give us a call at 781-943-1555!