Wu Man with Shanghai Quartet: Music from Ancient and New China
Whether you normally enjoy cultural music or not, this may be something that will interest you! On Sunday, April 3, 2016, Wu Man and the Shanghai Quartet will play a suite of traditional Chinese folk songs arranged by second violinist Yi-Wen Jiang, as well as solo pipa works by Wu Man.
Wu Man is a Grammy-Nominated musician who is traveling to 12 different cities across the United States during the 2015-2016 season. Wu Man was born in Hangzhou, China, and studied at the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing – she became the first recipient of a master’s degree in pipa. Wu man was accepted into the conservatory at just age 13, and her audition was covered by national newspaper and she was hailed as a child prodigy, also becoming a role model nationally recognized among young pipa players.
When? Sunday, April 3, 2016 – 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Where? Diana Chapman Walsh Alumnae Hall Green Room (205),
Wellesley, MA 02482
Cost? FREE for the general public and Wellesley College students
Meaning of the word “Pipa”
Don’t forget to call Cochrane & Porter for all your insurance needs at 781-943-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org!
The Benefits of Having Renters Insurance
Massachusetts tenants often assume their landlord’s insurance will cover their belongings if loss or damage occurs. Another assumption about renters’ insurance is that it’s too expensive. These myths tend to keep tenants from purchasing it at all. Going without insurance can end up costing way more in the long run! Always consider the risks associated with not having a renters insurance policy.
There are many reasons why you should aquire renters insurance. Some include:
- It covers losses to personal property, such as clothes, luggage, jewelry, computers, furniture and electronics.
- It may be required by your landlord. The landlord’s insurance policy will cover the actual building and structure itself, not your belongings.
- Renters’ insurance provides coverage for your personal belonging, whether you are on vacation, in the car, or in your home.
Specific situations when a renters’ insurance policy would come in handy:
- Guests are injured – If a guest has an accident while on your premises, such as a slip, fall, trip or another incident, the guest may pursue you for the damage if you were negligent. If a guest injures themselves from a heavy painting falling or a bite from a dangerous dog, the expenses can be very costly.
- Natural Disasters – Your landlord may or may not repair damages to your home resulting from a natural disaster such as hail, tornado, or a wildfire. Personal property usually is not covered.
- Damage You Caused Yourself – Damage caused by breaking windows, items that fell because they weren’t secured correctly, and overflowing water.
- Theft – Your landlord would not be responsible for anything stolen if your home gets burglarized. However, some states require landlords to have minimum security measures and if so, the landlord may hold some liability if security wasn’t provided properly.
As for the myth that renters’ insurance is too expensive, it is actually very affordable. In fact, the average renters insurance policy costs $187 per year, according to 2011 figures reported by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) in 2013. Of course, the cost of your policy will depend on several factors, including the kind of coverage you choose, your deductible and where you live.
Questions about renters insurance or interested in a free quote? Call us at 781-943-1555 or check out our other insurance products.
The Difference Between Collision & Comprehensive Auto Insurance
We decided to blog on this topic because we commonly hear this question from customers. The confusion is understandable because they are similar, but there are major differences between the two, and if you own a Massachusetts automobile policy it is essential to understand these differences in coverage.
It’s important to know collision does not cover damage to another person’s vehicle – liability insurance will cover you in those situations.
Collision insurance will cover you if your vehicle:
- Crashes into another car
- Crashes into an object such as a tree or fence
- Rolls over
- Drives over a surface hazard, like a deep pothole
Comprehensive will cover damage resulting from:
- Falling objects
- Hitting and/or being hit by an animal like birds, bears, cows, deer, or moose
- Natural disasters
Comparing The Two
How are comprehensive and collision similar? The two coverage’s generally have a deductible you are responsible for paying if you are in an accident. Typically, the higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be; with a higher deductible, you are responsible for paying more of the cost out of pocket if you need to file a claim.
How are the two coverage’s different? The main difference between comprehensive and collision coverage is that collision protects you if you are in an accident with another vehicle or hit an object, while comprehensive protects drivers against incidents that are completely out of their control.
Have questions about your current policy or if you are appropriately covered? Don’t hesitate to give us a call today at 781-943-1555!
It’s National Nutrition Month!
March is National Nutrition Month, an effort made every year by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to try and help Americans eat healthier. This year’s theme is “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.” Each year a topic is picked to educate people on the importance of making informed nutrition choices and developing healthier habits.
The idea of this year’s theme is to emphasize you can eat flavorful foods even if you are trying to be health conscious. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages people to experiment with spices and herbs so you can still eat healthy foods while perking up the taste and flavor of your meals.
Top ten list of popular ethnic cuisines and their typical flavors:
- Greece: olive oil, lemon, oregano
- Mexico: chili, paprika, tomato
- Italy: basil, garlic, marjoram, tomato
- Hungary: paprika, onion
- India: curry, garlic, ginger, cumin
- West Africa: Chili, peanut, tomato
- France: lavender, rosemary, sage, thyme, tomato
- Middle East: lemon, olive oil, parsley
- North Africa/Morocco: cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger
Lisa Cimperman, registered dietitian and Academy spokesperson says, “During National Nutrition Month and beyond, make an effort to cut back on food and beverages high in added sugar, sodium and saturated fats.”
The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines recommends:
- Consuming less than 10 percent of our daily calories each day from added sugars.
- Consuming less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day.
- Reducing saturated fat intake to less than 10 percent of calories each day.
If you’re one of the people looking to stay healthy this National Nutrition Month, try and continue those healthy habits this month and beyond.
Whether you’re remodeling your current home or building a new house, the 2016 Worcester Spring Home Show is a great place for you to start! It will take place at the DCU Center at 50 Foster Street in Worcester, Massachusetts from Friday, March 4-Sunday, March 6. Remember to visit Cochrane & Porter at booth #805 as well as over 200 other booths!
Cochrane & porter will be ready to answer any questions regarding both personal and commercial insurance and will be able to give you a quote on the spot. We look forward to meeting you.
Here’s another reason to visit the Cochrane & Porter booth to meet us: We will be raffling off 3 Amazon Kindle Fires and gift cards so be sure to stop by to say hello!
Friday, March 4 from 4:00pm – 8:00pm
Saturday, March 5 from 10:00am – 7:00pm
Sunday, March 6 from 11:00am – 5:00pm
There will be a number of attendees – take a look at the full of exhibitors – many will have giveaways, most will showcase their newest products. If you’ve never been, give it a try – it’s a lot of fun! On the website, you can download a free pass for 2 adults for any day.
Other useful links about the show:
Visitor Information – check here for directions and parking.
Promotions & Giveaways