Cyber security and identity theft issues are on the rise, and social media makes it more difficult for us to protect our personal information. The internet and social media have made bullying and stalking much easier as well. It is important to keep your own private information, as well as your family and friends, safe while on social media. Here are some tips that will ensure you have a secure online presence.
- Think twice about anything you post online. Of course, the whole point of having a social media account is to share information about yourself. Keep in mind anything you share online is difficult to un-share. Just because your account is private does not mean someone you’re friends with cannot share something you’ve posted, so be aware of that as well. A few things to think twice before posting are:
– Your full birth date
– Photos with geotag information
– Rants about your job or sensitive information about your job
– Travel plans
2. Avoid strangers or untrustworthy people as friends on social media. It may be tempting to accept a Facebook friend request from a pretty stranger. However, it just is not safe to add someone until you know them more and at least build a relationship with them. Think about all the information from the past, present and future they would have access to. It is better to be safe than sorry!
3. Review privacy and security settings on all your social media accounts. Take some time to review all the security settings for each of your social media accounts. In particular, Facebook has many different settings because there are so many ways for your personal information to be shared. Some of the options include choosing whether or not your profile is connected to search engines, who posts to your timeline, and who can contact you. Check out these tips for protecting yourself and your family on social network.
Always remember the Internet is a huge place and although we may feel secure on our own social networks, that is not always the case. Connect with those you know, share wisely, and evaluate security settings on all social media accounts!
Contact an agent at Cochrane & Porter for any of your insurance needs! 781-943-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org