Flood Insurance in Massachusetts
As a business owner in Massachusetts, it’s important you obtain flood insurance for your commercial property. Most commercial property insurance policies do NOT include flood coverage.
Even if you live in a low-risk food zone, you should protect your business with flood insurance because about 20% of all flood claims and about a third of all federal disaster relief occurs outside of high-risk flood zones. If you are in a low- to moderate-risk zone, coverage can be very affordable.
If you live in an area with a moderate-to-low risk of flood occurring, chances are you’ll qualify at a relatively low rate. If you are in a high-risk area, most likely your only option will be a standard policy.
What will my flood policy cover?
- Building & contents – the insured building and foundation, central air conditioning equipment, electrical and plumbing systems, refrigerators, cooking stoves and any built in appliances, permanently installed fixtures, such as dishwashers, furniture, stoves, and other permanently installed fixtures.
- Losses resulting from overflow of water or rivers, heavy or prolonged rain, snow melt, broken dams, and a few others.
- Personal Contents Property:
– Clothing, furniture, and electronics & electronic equipment
– Portable and window air conditioners
– Food freezers and the food in them
– Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers
– Clothing washers and dryers
What isn’t covered under a Commercial flood policy?
- Damage caused by moisture, mold, or mildew that could have been avoided by the property owner
- Property and belongings outside of an insured building like trees, plants, wells, walks, decks, patios, fences, hot tubs & swimming pools
- Financial losses cause by business interruption or loss of use of insured property
- Damage to your business vehicles
This is not intended to be a full description of coverage – give us a call at 860-676-1957 so we can discuss whether you’d benefit from flood insurance!