In Massachusetts, Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance is sometimes referred to as “General Liability.” It is insurance that covers your Massachusetts organization from the potentially devastating costs of third party claims and lawsuits if someone is injured or suffers damages related to your business operations.

The most common types of coverage included in a Massachusetts general liability insurance policy include:

  • Property Damage – covers you if your company is at fault for damage to someone else’s property.
  • Personal Injury – covers medical expenses, and, in some instances, lost wages.
  • Bodily Injury – covers the costs associated with injuries or the death of someone, only if the accident was caused by your business.
  • Advertising Injury – an injury to a third party that occurs while a business is advertising its goods or services. This includes:
    – False arrest
    – Malicious prosecution
    – Slander
    – Libel
    – Using another’s advertising idea
    – Invasion of privacy
    – Wrongful eviction

Note that a Massachusetts CGL policy does not cover intentional acts that are non-business related.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if the accident costs exceed my maximum limit on my policy? Your maximum is the limit your insurer will pay for. You may want to consider Umbrella insurance which would offer additional coverage to protect you in the event of a serious multiple-party accident for which you are at fault.

What is not included in a Massachusetts general liability insurance policy? While each policy may vary, typically the following is excluded:

– Property damage to a product
– Property damage to your work, unless a subcontractor working for you was the cause of the damage
Workers’ Compensation and Employer’s Liability
– Recall of products, work or impaired property

How do I submit a claim? When the time comes to file a claim, you’ll need to contact your insurance provider. It is important to submit a claim immediately following an incident, because the quicker you submit a claim the faster your claim can be resolved.

There are several ways to obtain a commercial general liability insurance policy. You can purchase as a stand-alone policy, as part of a Commercial Package Policy (CPP), or as part of a Business Owners Policy (BOP).

Have questions? Don’t hesitate to call an agent at Cochrane & Porter at 781-943-1555!