Click to Call
Cochrane & Porter Insurance Agency

2 Park Central Dr, Suite 300
Southborough, MA 01772

Get Directions
Massachusetts Renters insurance coverage

Get a quote now

Renters Insurance in Massachusetts

Do you need rental insurance in Massachusetts? If you rent an apartment, a home, or condominium, renters insurance could be beneficial to you!

When living in a rented apartment, condominium, or house, the landlord’s insurance does not cover personal property that is damaged or stolen as a result of fire, theft, or another unanticipated event that may occur. It also does not cover your personal liability that may arise from incidents occurring inside or outside of the apartment. Therefore, it is important that you have your own insurance while renting.

In Massachusetts, a renters insurance policy can provide benefits similar to a traditional homeowners insurance policy – but it’s much cheaper since you don’t have to insure the building itself. With renters insurance, you will be covered for the following:

  1. Personal Property – This refers to the contents of your home; examples include small appliances, clothing, electronics, and furniture. Certain items need to be listed individually, such as jewelry, fine arts, or firearms.
  2. Personal Liability – This refers to the protection against injuries or damage to other people’s property that could happen to others while in your home, or any other related lawsuits that arise anywhere in the world.

Q. Am I required to carry renters insurance in Massachusetts?

A. Not by law. Massachusetts does not require you to have renters insurance; however, your landlord can require you to have a Massachusetts renters insurance policy.

Q. Isn’t my landlord responsible for insuring my apartment?

A. No. Your landlord is only responsible for insuring the building and his own liability. You are responsible for your personal belongings inside of it as well as your liability.

Q. Is there coverage for additional expenses I may have in the event that I am relocated because the building becomes damaged?

A. Yes! Our Massachusetts renters insurance policies include Loss of Use coverage, also referred to as “additional living expense” coverage. If your home becomes damaged to the point that it is not suitable to live in from a covered loss such as fire, lightning, or a windstorm, the insurance company will pay for certain additional expenses associated with a temporary relocation.

Here at Cochrane & Porter we are able to assist you in designing a renters insurance policy tailored to your specific situation. Whether you are renting short-term or long-term, we’ve got you covered.

Contact Cochrane & Porter today to talk with us about your insurance needs, or quote your renters policy here!


Right 1st image

Locally owned and operated

Right 2nd image

Policies that meet & exceed expectations

Right 3rd image

Get an Annual Policy review

Servicing States

  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Rhode Island
  • Connecticut
  • Florida